Ex 4.5 Collage-inspired yarn
Brief: “You will work in ways that echo the collage techniques you employed in part 3, but now with a focus on yarn.”
Original source collage from Ex 3.4
I looked at ribbon and flat bias binding tape for this exercise after creating a list of words I associated with my collage- overlapping, odd shapes, layered, mounted, flat, matt, slight sheen on some of the papers. Again, it was very hard to match the colours so I decided to also look at the patterns on the paper-dots, spots, graphs, square, text and gingham, to give an overall impression of the collaged piece. I started by sketching out some ideas before moving on to the construction.
The first sample was lengths of ribbon joined with different coloured brads. I selected a mix of woven and satin ribbons for texture. This is quite a simple piece but I think it works well to convey the joining and layering of pieces. (top line in photo above). Next I tried joining the ribbon together with eyelets. (sample in sketchbook). This proved very difficult as the ribbon kept fraying anytime i got a large enough hole for the eyelet. The look was interesting in form but did not give the flat matt look I was going for. I liked the black outlines on the collage so wanted to incorporate that into the yarn design as well. I cut up pieces of ribbon into different sizes and then sewed them together on my sewing machine using black thread as the drawn lines. It was difficult joining small pieces together and on some of the ribbon the black stitching didn’t show up well. (2nd line in photo above). I found some Bias binding tape in a beige colour similar to several shades on the collage and decided to stitch the shapes of ribbon onto that with black thread. I overlapped the ribbons and used straight lines randomly to stitch them on. This worked much better as the bias binding gave a really flat, wide base on which to layer the ribbon and the stitch lines showed up much better. (3rd line down in photo above). For the next piece I turned the bias binding tape over and placed the pieces of ribbon under the fold each side and stitched all the way around with black thread. (Top image on photo below). I prefered the first sample on the tape as it looked more layered like the collage. I then used washi tape cut up and stuck onto the bias binding tape. Because my range of washi was bigger than my range of ribbons, I was able to match the shapes and colours a bit better so I was pleased with this sample. The washi tape lays flatter as its thinner, I was able to cut different shapes better (the ribbons kept fraying if I got too small) and the black stitching really stands out well. (Bottom line of photo above). I had some pieces of ribbon left over so I used brads to attach them to bias binding tape. I tried making this sample a bit more 3D by looping and folding the ribbon in places. I like how the brads work well to match the spotty papers on the collage but I don’t feel the folding or looping of the ribbonworks to convey the texture of the collage. (2 images on photo below). I used the last pieces of ribbon and wove them together, then stitched them in place so they held.
Reflection: Overall I am happy with these samples as I feel they convey the ‘flatness’ of the collage and the machine stitch adds that extra outline which I think makes the collaged piece. I like the washi tape sample as it seems ‘extra flat’ and the tape gives it a matt finish. (Edited to add-) Areas for expansion could be to print patterns onto plain ribbon or to use patterned material cut into different shapes to mimic the collage.